So Brittany, who is part of this group I’m in over on Goodreads, posted this character questionnaire she found on Tumblr. I decided to answer it about Lia. It was really fun to do and I hope this gives some insight into the character.
What is your character’s name?: Ophelia “Lia” Thomas
What book are they from?: The Desiccated
How old is s/he?: 22
Is your character a human, alien, creature/animal?: human
Basic appearance: (hair color, eye color, etc) blond hair, blue/green eyes, skinny frame, mostly from not eating regularly
1. What position does your character sleep in? ( i.e; stomach, side, back, etc. ) Describe why they do this — optional. She sleeps on her back. Any other way is feels like an invitation for trouble.
2. Does your character have any noteworthy features? (Freckles, dimples, a scar somewhere unusual, etc.) She has some old scars to her arms and one on the back of her neck.
3. Does your character have an accent? What does it sound like?Midwestern accent
4. Do they have any verbal tics? Do they have trouble pronouncing certain words or getting their thoughts across clearly? No, but she does hold back her words a lot.
5. What are their chief tension areas? Shoulders
6. If you were to pick one song — and only one song — to describe your character, what would it be and why? Beauty From Pain by Superchick. It took me awhile to come up with it, but it fits pretty well.
7. How does your character perceive themselves? Positive? Negative? Neutral? Negative
8. Are they a quick thinker or do they need time to sort through their thoughts? She has trouble making decisions
9. Does your character dream or are their nights filled with an empty blackness? Describe a dream they’ve had or a night they couldn’t sleep and what they did to preoccupy their time. She usually has nightmares. The most important one is one about jungle cats towards the beginning of the book.
10. If they had a choice, would they prefer a subway or a bus for public transportation? A bus
11. What do they think of creation? Do they believe in evolution or do they believe in God? What is their religion like? Her religion is Christianity, but she’s non-practicing. She stopped going to church when she was thirteen.
12. Describe 5 unusual characteristics your muse has.
My muse? As in the fictitious gremlin from where I draw inspiration? Okay…They work the graveyard shift. (I’m always inspired most in the that second between awake and asleep.) They constantly need attention. They prefer either sweet or salty snacks while they work (m&m’s snack mix is perfect for this.) They are horrible spellers, but they have a great sense of humor.
13. Have they ever been so overwhelmed they had to stop and take a break from something? Yes. She gets nervous/anxious easily.
14. Are they a team player or do they prefer to be solo? Solo
15. Can they multi-task or must they focus on one subject at a time? Multi-tasking, hence why she gets great tips.
16. What are their best school subjects? What are their worst? List five of each. In school she mostly stayed in the background. I’m not sure if she had best or worst. She will read now and then but it isn’t a passion and she can do enough math to get by.
17. Is your character an introvert or an extrovert? How do they handle big crowds of people? She falls somewhere in between. Her environment causes her to avoid people who ask too many questions.
18. Are they a leader, do they prefer to follow, or would they rather just stay on the sidelines altogether? On the sidelines. She isn’t a take charge person, but she hates being told what to do.
19. If your character was suddenly challenged, would they rather run away or stay and fight? At the beginning of the book she is more of a runner but that changes.
20. If your character was allowed to murder one person without any consequences, who would that person be and why? Her step-father, because of his cruelty.
21. Your character has been granted 3 wishes; what would they wish for and why?
- Money to pay for things, like her mother’s medical bills
- A new car to get to work (plus anywhere else she wanted to go) and so she could stop bumming rides off E.J.
- A better life for her sister
22. Does your character trust people right off the bat or does it take them some time to warm up to someone? Unless she’s known a person for most of her life she won’t trust them.
23. Do they prefer romance or affection? What is the quickest way to your character’s heart? Affection. Romance just seems like a bunch of fairytale crap. The quickest way to her heart is through her little sister.
24. Does your character have any enemies? If so, who and why? Her only “enemy” is probably her step-father, because she doesn’t have enough courage to stand up to him and that has a huge impact in her life, even if she doesn’t realize it.
25. Do they have any weird bedroom habits? Any unusual kinks? The only thing that stands out is her not looking at the other person
26. How does your character prepare for bed? Do they sleep at all or can they stay awake for days on end without trouble? She doesn’t sleep well. Her routine after work is a quick shower, pj pants and a top, shoes and purse tucked somewhere out of sight but within arms reach.
27. If your character had one thing to say to their parents before they died, what would it be? I don’t think she would say anything because in her mind it wouldn’t matter.
28. Are they afraid of death? Do they have any regrets? Lots of regret but no fear of death.
29. Does your character get restless when things are too quiet or do they favour solitude and silence? Why? Quiet comes before chaos, so she prefers everyday noise. She likes to know other people are out there.